Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to choose

Default how to choose

hi im a intermediate player currently in the north east ive been approached by several allainces and are trying to pick the best one but im not sure i dont want to get into an allaince ill regret. how do i figure out which is a good allaince for an intermediate player like me who wont get invited by a top allaince yet. ps which are decent allainces in the north east

Exclamation

Hey hairhead, Picking an alliance is a lot like dating. You dont really have to worry about whether or not this relationship is 'THE ONE'! You start out with a reasonable attractive catch and work your way through. If at any point you feel that you belong with another or that its not working out - you politely (and i emphasize 'politely') defect and shop for a new alliance. The knowledge and experience gained from being a part of an alliance and the relationships you foster can then be used to your advantage in a later part of the game.

I would warn that you dont switch alliances too much - or you will quickly acquire a reputation for being unreliable. It is fairgame to shop for greater and stronger alliances in the early and middle parts of the game - however, later on it is important that you remain true to your chosen alliance. Watch out for alliances with poor leadership or worse - poorer negotiation skills or you will spend hard earned resources and troops on battles that you didnt begin and that yield little benefit.

Happy hunting!

{v_v}

Look around your area to see if perhaps there is a concentration of a certain alliance around you. Then see how helpful they seem to one another, how smart does the leadership seem? Do they have troop requirements? a defensive plan? Just having a bunch of simmers with high pop does not always make a good alliance, it is better to have smaller pop. players who stay active and make good decisions with their troops.

Quote Originally Posted by hairhead View Post
    hi im a intermediate player currently in the north east ive been approached by several allainces and are trying to pick the best one but im not sure i dont want to get into an allaince ill regret. how do i figure out which is a good allaince for an intermediate player like me who wont get invited by a top allaince yet. ps which are decent allainces in the north east

Ask yourself this question, Why are you looking for an alliance? For the experience? For Power? for Protection? Just want to hang out and talk?

Before searching for an alliance you need to get yourself squared away. make sure you have about 1.5 to 2 times the amount of troops to your population, so if you have 100 pop you should have 200 crop worth of troops. Make sure you are not a farm. If you get attacked a lot that doesn't mean you are a farm a farm is someone that gives up a lot of resources or their troops get killed all the time so make sure you are constantly wasting resources and sending troops away to far distant locations when you are not online.

Next did you want proximity to work with someone so you can take targets out? f or did you want the space to work on your own so no one steps on your toes?

If you are looking for protection you might want to talk to potential alliances and get their thoughts on it. one thing to remember communication is the key. Don't Apply to alliances but Inquire. Last thing alliances want is players others rejected.
    UF - NF2
    Only here for your Beer and Women!

Thorned Warrior

I use a couple of general rules regarding applications: If I answer yes to any of the questions below I do not consider joining.

1. Would, by joining the alliance, I become the largest (or even second or third largest) player in the alliance? Three reasons:

While its great to go out and recruit large players, chances are you're going to ask more of the large players than they will receive from the alliance. Some people don't mind the imbalance, I usually do.

The other problem with being largest is that you will be bothered by every noob who cannot bother reading the alliance description to discover who the recruiter is, or who the diplomat is. Too many just assume that the largest player is the one they need to talk to.

And if your alliance gets into trouble with someone bigger, who do you think they are going to identify as the greatest threat - the largest player.

2. In the invitation to join or any other communication was there poor language skills. If you cannot communicate effectively with your alliance there is no point in joining.

3. Does the alliance use only the travian alliance forums and IGMs to communicate with each other? Be it instant messaging, skype, off-site forums, all allow better communication than the travian forums.

Lastly I offer the advice of talking to members of the alliance other than the person trying to recruit you.

-JTP

I basically looked for an alliance that share my philosophy of playing the game.

For me, that eliminated about 90% of the alliances.

In the end, I looked at Six*
    One recruited me, I considered it, but didn't agree to join
    *Another actually folded completely when I inquired
    One ignored me
    Another was receptive, but too far
    In the end, I applied for two, chose one and I am happy with my choice.

BTW, I was approached by several alliances- but none express my vision or philosophy to the game, so I politely decline.

-----

cool thanks guys usefull answers

dontpointthatthingatme

Just to add a few things to the good responses...

If you are an active raider, you don't want to be too close to other alliance members, because you will have farm overlap.

If I were you, I would look at the alliance defensive numbers and offensive numbers. If the alliance ranks really high on defense, and very low on offense, that is a red flag. I would pay very close attention to that number.

And whoever compared being in an alliance to being in a relationship, that is a great analogy, and I will take it further. Once you are in, pay very close attention to the communication of alliance, the maturity of the members, and the battle reports you see on the alliance attacks page. If you join and you have any sense of regret after examining this info or experiencing their leadership, get out right away. Sooner is better. Like relationships .

Quote Originally Posted by wmstud View Post
    Hey hairhead, Picking an alliance is a lot like dating.
    Right.

Pick the youngest one that gives the best head and can keep her mouth shut
    His politic is misery.

s2 - Catch Me
    Formerly squiid

By the way, that was a joke; I just got back from a late happy hour.

Don't ban me, etc.

Regards,

-squiid
    His politic is misery.

s2 - Catch Me
    Formerly squiid

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast