Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Noob Leeching - does it hurt the game?

Travian has a pyramid structure. The many at the bottom feed the few at the top. All those resources sitting out there in inactive or weekly defended villages get scooped up by the players with the skill and the energy to do so.There is one element of Travian that hews true to reality and that is: If your enemy doesn't sleep you don't sleep either. The players who don't sleep should have their investment rewarded. The players who don't put in the work deserve to get smacked. Active,aggressive,raiding,offensive players are trying to get an edge, not over the noobs, but over the other strong players. Travian encourages heavyweights to emerge from the same muck as the noobs and to duke it out to for the right to be top dog. An attempt at parity will create a race to mediocrity. Better to let the strong absorb the weak and in some way the weak can say they helped in building something bigger.

Natarian Knight

I don't see it as Noob leeching. Like someone else said, it's a gameplay tactic. But not all of us who "noob leech" are bullies. I, for one, actually look for noobs with high troop levels--not to gain hero experience, but as a sign of an active noob that I can recruit and facilitate their growth while teaching them the game.

While others do their part in causing noobs to delete and leave the game, I do my part in keeping them here, making some friends and starting a new server with a larger "core" than before. And that is what Travian is all about.

Natarian Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Thresher View Post
    Travian has a pyramid structure. The many at the bottom feed the few at the top. All those resources sitting out there in inactive or weekly defended villages get scooped up by the players with the skill and the energy to do so.There is one element of Travian that hews true to reality and that is: If your enemy doesn't sleep you don't sleep either. The players who don't sleep should have their investment rewarded. The players who don't put in the work deserve to get smacked. Active,aggressive,raiding,offensive players are trying to get an edge, not over the noobs, but over the other strong players. Travian encourages heavyweights to emerge from the same muck as the noobs and to duke it out to for the right to be top dog. An attempt at parity will create a race to mediocrity. Better to let the strong absorb the weak and in some way the weak can say they helped in building something bigger.
    If this was the way it worked I wouldn't have a problem with it. Problem is, many of the top players are using bots, TBeyond, or have multiple accounts. I've seen several top players using bots so obviously it's not even funny - meaning patterns to attack times, raiding of new villages instantaneously from long distance, instantaneous attacks after other attacks finish, not seeing messages even as they are sending attacks, and always using the same number of troops in raids (i.e. 20 or 30 clubs).
    Last edited by Jzyehoshua; 07.07.2009 at 19:39.
    New Ideas: http://forum.travian.us/showthread.php?109129-Jz-s-Ideas-Thread
    Old Ideas: http://forum.travian.com/showthread.php?116768-Jz-s-12-Awesome-Ideas

In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Jzyehoshua View Post
    Problem is, many of the top players are using bots, TBeyond, or have multiple accounts. I've seen several top players using bots so obviously it's not even funny - meaning:
    Let me disect this:

patterns to attack times
    This is not a sign of botting. If you are runing a top account the best and easyest way to keep track of who to raid when is to make a patten. Personaly, I had a list of villages each with it's own time (Example: V1 -15:45, V2-16:30 ect.) and would just hit them without thinking.
    This is especialy importmant when you have a dual with 1 or more players and you need to keep track of who you are raiding, who you would have already emptied out ect. Just make a list with a nice patten and PM it to your account for all your duals to read. (note that I was not even close to a top player and I still used this)

raiding of new villages instantaneously from long distance
    Instantly raiding, now does that meen: 1. Troops arrive the instant they are sent or 2. Troops are sent the instant the village is founded. The 1st is a banable offense, the later could be a matter of idiotic luck.

instantaneous attacks after other attacks finish
    Seding out atacks the moment an atack hits your oponent, or the moment your troops come home is not boting, it is simply strategy. I personaly could send more than 7 atacks per second, so why should someone who plays this like it was his life not be able to resend troops the moment they come back? After all, it is only a matter of a single click in the right time.

not seeing messages even as they are sending attacks
    Not seeing, or not reading/replying to them?
    If someone is farming you, the last thing he needs is to listen to your cry-mail.
    I personaly newer read PMs from farms.

and always using the same number of troops in raids (i.e. 20 or 30 clubs).
    Again, see point 1. When you have 10+ villages and you are raiding 20+ villages with each, you don't even reed the reports any more.
    As long as your troops keep coming back, you just send them to another target or where they came from. (example: My 20 clubs came back from village V1. They brought me resources. I will just send them back to V1 and wory about more importmant things.)

I am not saying that there are not bots. What I am saying is that the MH are more than capable of handling them. And that noobs are blowing things way out of proportion.
    Purple Qwrq

THE FOUNDER OF THE ELITE ORDER OF THE NON SPAMING NATARIAN KNIGHTS.
    I am have returned! 100% Active, 100% inspired! Read The Mod comic -
    Weekly Updates

Thorned Warrior

^Agrees, I am for to lazy to go into specific points I agree on so in general I will agree with his whole post ;P

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Bcbillings View Post
    ^Agrees, I am for to lazy to go into specific points I agree on so in general I will agree with his whole post ;P
    I think im just as lazy. I farm inactives and I tried to farm them the moment the troops got back but it was far easier to farm them as soon as the attack hit. And yes i farm them still when I get nothing because soon as the teutons gets lazy I will get something.

I'm not sure how much botting there is, but it seems to me like my raiding gets really good the last day before a account self deletes. I have no way to explain it except that the botters know this and leave it alone or they would be flagged as trying to attack a nonexistant village. I will let someone else confirm that this is their experience too.

I also think bots are responding to my IGMs because some of them make absolutely no sense....

Quote Originally Posted by insanekilla666 View Post
    Definition: Building your second and subsequent villages in an area further out from the center so that you can:
    • a) avoid the heat from players around your first village and more importantly
    • b) wait for new players to register in your new area by which time you have built up an excellent farming apparatus, just waiting for fresh meat.

I noticed this is happening more and more when I was registering on a few servers. It was difficult to find a new village that wasn't already in the farming area of 3 to 7 other players with more than 5 villages each.

I have done it myself and it's a good way to develop quickly and painlessly if you don't want to be in the first set of players in the central kill zone.

But....

• 1. If more and more players do it, there will be fewer people playing Travian - they will try it once and give up because they have little chance.
    • 2. It's clearly a strategy for avoiding the more-or-less level playing field that the game tries to give people and giving yourself a huge advantage at the expense of new players.

Look at it this way. You're a small fish in the ghetto, getting bullied by the local hoods, so you move to the suburbs and enjoy frightening the local kids with your 2" pen knife and taking their candies. It doesn't require a lot of skill, does it?

You're going to say, well these noobs could delete and settle somewhere else, or they could use their amazing diplomatic skills to negotiate with the Noob Leech to leave them alone. Or go defensive. Or build a secret army and....but that's not the point, is it? The problem is not the new players, it's the Leeches.

What do you think?

• - If it's allowed, do it - use every tactic to win, fair or not, parasites are not so bad....
      OR
    • - I wouldn't do it but if other people want to, well, let them. It's dog eat dog out there.
      OR
    • - It's a strategy for losers. I wouldn't have one in my alliance and if I see one, it's catas on random...
      OR
    • - Travian needs to introduce a way of preventing this happening. It will stop people enjoying the game first time round and they won't come back.
    Obviously, it doesn't.

Seeing as they now need a Server 9, the join-to-leave ratio is in Travian's favor.

Quite frankly, expanding to a more diverse and plentiful land is a tactic in every strategy game I've played in my life.

I also welcome so-called n00b leaching. People try to farm me, but my resistance gets me a spot in their alliance.
    "SUUM TANTUM A PULPA VULNUS"-footman.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy View Post
    A message for Ramrod: Don't reproduce, ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpy
    To REDSHEILD, if he happens to see this: I suppose I am a Grammar N*zi at heart.
    <(-_-)><(@-@)><(o.0)> <dragons.

If this was the way it worked I wouldn't have a problem with it. Problem is, many of the top players are using bots, TBeyond, or have multiple accounts. I've seen several top players using bots so obviously it's not even funny - meaning patterns to attack times, raiding of new villages instantaneously from long distance, instantaneous attacks after other attacks finish, not seeing messages even as they are sending attacks, and always using the same number of troops in raids (i.e. 20 or 30 clubs).

Jzehoshua - I don't like cheaters any more than you do. I encourage every player who has a substantial set of evidence to report potential rule breaking to the multi-hunter. I work hard on my accounts and I don't want to lose out to someone who took the low road.
    I've also had the exasperated feeling, late on a Sunday night, when I think I've had a great week, and I still miss the top 10 raiders, top ten attackers,etc. I wonder what more I could do and how these other players do it. IF they gave out medals for top 15, I'd have as much bling as the Queen of England.

That said, I've played in several alliances filled with players who brought home the medals, week in and week out. I've been a sitter on many of those accounts. I've had fruitful discussions about optimal play. Those players all had integrity, skill and determination. Your characterization is unfair to them and all who play like them, because it lumps them in with some plurality/majority/critical-mass of players, real or imagined, who you think influence Travian enough that radical changes must be made to the game play.

At my computer. Watching episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I agree with both Purple and Thresher. Noob leaching is part of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinglemouse View Post
    Of course you are, you one of the coolest people on the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4colskypeck View Post
    She is one of our favorite forum celebrities.
    MEMBER OF THE ELITE ORDER OF THE NON SPAMING NATARIAN KNIGHTS

Default No, not all are "bullies"...

...in the traditional sense of the word. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have any integrity either. Give me a break here. Noob leach or "teach" all you want, but false claims here are a bit low, even for you LT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrus View Post
    I don't see it as Noob leeching. Like someone else said, it's a gameplay tactic. But not all of us who "noob leech" are bullies. I, for one, actually look for noobs with high troop levels--not to gain hero experience, but as a sign of an active noob that I can recruit and facilitate their growth while teaching them the game.

While others do their part in causing noobs to delete and leave the game, I do my part in keeping them here, making some friends and starting a new server with a larger "core" than before. And that is what Travian is all about.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast