Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Noob Leeching - does it hurt the game?

Question Noob Leeching - does it hurt the game?

Definition: Building your second and subsequent villages in an area further out from the center so that you can:
    • a) avoid the heat from players around your first village and more importantly
    • b) wait for new players to register in your new area by which time you have built up an excellent farming apparatus, just waiting for fresh meat.

I noticed this is happening more and more when I was registering on a few servers. It was difficult to find a new village that wasn't already in the farming area of 3 to 7 other players with more than 5 villages each.

I have done it myself and it's a good way to develop quickly and painlessly if you don't want to be in the first set of players in the central kill zone.

But....

• 1. If more and more players do it, there will be fewer people playing Travian - they will try it once and give up because they have little chance.
    • 2. It's clearly a strategy for avoiding the more-or-less level playing field that the game tries to give people and giving yourself a huge advantage at the expense of new players.

Look at it this way. You're a small fish in the ghetto, getting bullied by the local hoods, so you move to the suburbs and enjoy frightening the local kids with your 2" pen knife and taking their candies. It doesn't require a lot of skill, does it?

You're going to say, well these noobs could delete and settle somewhere else, or they could use their amazing diplomatic skills to negotiate with the Noob Leech to leave them alone. Or go defensive. Or build a secret army and....but that's not the point, is it? The problem is not the new players, it's the Leeches.

What do you think?

• - If it's allowed, do it - use every tactic to win, fair or not, parasites are not so bad....
      OR
    • - I wouldn't do it but if other people want to, well, let them. It's dog eat dog out there.
      OR
    • - It's a strategy for losers. I wouldn't have one in my alliance and if I see one, it's catas on random...
      OR
    • - Travian needs to introduce a way of preventing this happening. It will stop people enjoying the game first time round and they won't come back.

Pikeman

If i move far away, i do it to build a hammer

Thorned Warrior

Look at it this way. You're a small fish in the ghetto, getting bullied by the local hoods, so you move to the suburbs and enjoy frightening the local kids with your 2" pen knife and taking their candies. It doesn't require a lot of skill, does it?

i found that bit funny lol

Thorned Warrior

To be honest there are more serious obstacles to lots of people playing and to carry on playing after they get hit. Gold and Duals skew things towards experienced/dedicated players. Really a noob has no chance without these! I take your point and it's pretty common practice on every server but apart from a longer noob protection, what can you do?

Yes, it definitely does.

I think farming active players, especially noobs, is just way mean is just way mean. It not only turns most new players off travian for like forever, its also a form of bullying and stealing.
    I only farm inactive players, and if a player is still active, I'll leave them alone.
    Tonnes of people quit playing every day for no reason, and there's no need to make more quit.

With regards to noob leeching, I think it is possible for admin to implement some regulations to prevent it.
    How bout something like a rule that says "You can only found a new village in a X squares radius from your village." That should be quite effective. What do you guys think?

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by skyfireknight View Post
    "You can only found a new village in a X squares radius from your village." That should be quite effective. What do you guys think?
    i think that there would be fare and not fare as there might not be a single 9C or 15C in your radius there for you are stuck with normal 4-4-4-6, 5-3-4-6 etc...

Guardsman

anti bashing limitations. pop size limit to prevent big players attacking small players.

ie. you can not attack someone smaller than 1/2 or 2/3 your pop, including inactives. that way there'll also be more farms for smaller players to grow.

exploits, smaller players will avoid growing and gather together into small alliances to attack big players.

countermeasures, big alliances will have to at least pretend they care for smaller players as they'll need them to counterattack.

Quote Originally Posted by MistaHazeX View Post
    i think that there would be fare and not fare as there might not be a single 9C or 15C in your radius there for you are stuck with normal 4-4-4-6, 5-3-4-6 etc...
    A solution to that would be to place 9c's and 15c's systemetically, instead of at random, such that everyone will have the same number of those in their assigned radius.

You're going to say, well these noobs could delete and settle somewhere else, or they could use their amazing diplomatic skills to negotiate with the Noob Leech to leave them alone. Or go defensive. Or build a secret army and....but that's not the point, is it? The problem is not the new players, it's the Leeches.

Im sorry but I find that a ridiculous comment! It is how it is because thats how the game works and IMO its not really a problem with noobs or "Leeches" its jut how things are.

Maybe they should start a Travian training only server for noobs. I was a noob once its hard but I got zero popped and allsorts, you just have to get over it and learn from the experience and do better next time and if you arent learning anything then maybe you should just go play the sims.

Im still learning new things about Travian everyday and lets face it each game is short lived really and particularly on the speed server too, there isnt a lot of room for wasting time on anything if you want to get to your goal and thats using a lot of gold, spending a lot of time etc building up your troops, alliance and village! Im sorry but I dont put all the effort in for nowt, if there are newbies around me that are useful farms I use them and even if they are just out of BP sorry but its happened to me!

Farm or be farmed, kill or be killed and if you land in a crappy spot dont waste time delete and move elsewhere and start again.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

At my computer. Watching episodes of Avatar: The Last Airbender.

I'm personally fine iwth noob leaching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dinglemouse View Post
    Of course you are, you one of the coolest people on the forums!
    Quote Originally Posted by 4colskypeck View Post
    She is one of our favorite forum celebrities.
    MEMBER OF THE ELITE ORDER OF THE NON SPAMING NATARIAN KNIGHTS

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast