Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Spies

Quote Originally Posted by simetheslime View Post
    a small point i'd like to make on the subject,

you can see here how a sitter spy can be used to gain intel, but no real harm is done to the account or player, and people can laugh about it later.

zoda, what was done to phoca, for example are saboteurs where accounts and peoples hard work are destroyed, no one laughs about this later except the people who do it.

one is certainly more acceptable than the other.

Si
    and cheers to that

yes lots of bad spies stories
    few of good spies who can joke after it
    and also we never even used it to kill her villages , i must be sliiping hahahaha

RESpecT to all
    Kill the Rest

CWL S5.Com 2008 Brezzok...CWL S6.Com 2009 Brezzok&anarchy CWL S7.Com 2010Dark Magnus. Bgbros. CWL S4.Com 2011 with Malissa....CWL S7.Com 2012 Brezz Si Pria H... Wild s2 simetheslime s1 orbit

Quote Originally Posted by simetheslime View Post
    a small point i'd like to make on the subject,

you can see here how a sitter spy can be used to gain intel, but no real harm is done to the account or player, and people can laugh about it later.

zoda, what was done to phoca, for example are saboteurs where accounts and peoples hard work are destroyed, no one laughs about this later except the people who do it.

one is certainly more acceptable than the other.

Si
    Actually, I am somewhat uncomfortable using advantages like what happened with Zoda and Phoca, although as an opponent I find them acceptable uses of agents within the game. What I have a problem with is using those tools to harm an ally. You should never distract someone that is already doing what you want.

That said, I had a potential opportunity to use an agent in a similar situation - against my enemies - but both the agent and I had ethical issues with the potential advantage that was available to us.

Si, you make the point that its an attack against the players concerned and therefore is unacceptable. However, we make attacks against accounts all the time - I think the distinguishing factor between launching attacks and spywork is whether or not you can see it coming and defend against it. I think its often considered unfair because people are blindsided by it.

Is it defensible? Only partially. Agents are so successful because in order to form our teams we have to trust people with responsibility - no man is an island and in this game, teams and teamwork win. Good agents are indistinguishable from teammates - I instruct my people to do the best they can for their teams whether attacking, evaluating or anything else because otherwise they cannot insinuate themselves into leadership where they will have responsibility and get the access they need. The only clues you get about agents are by tracking the information the enemy has on you or by mistakes the handlers make in making them stand out by not attacking them, having them push for information, or not playing for the team.

I think agents are an acceptable use of espionage in the game. Spies are the responsibility of players to guard against - people know who they are setting as sitters and are responsible for information they pass in conversations as well. Agents are the responsiblity of leadership - its our job to evaluate players and choose to hand over responsibility well. However, I believe the best use of agents is to use them against the organization and leadership, not to harm individual players. DF was aimed at breaking the ties of the organization - where Zoda simply destroyed a bunch of troops.

For me, its important to give my opponent a fair chance to defend against my plots. While I'd use a spy within a wonder to get defense and the internal layout (note that this round we didn't need to, there are other ways to acquire the information and we actively pursued those), I would like to think that I wouldn't do a Phoca, though the temptation is huge. Why? Because I'm not someone that delights in betrayal, its leverage as part of a campaign, but for me, its not a victory in and of itself...
    If Elephants Flew, If Whales Walked, If Tigers Tittered...
    And in Travian Men act like Mice and Mice spread their Wings and Fly
    Just dont get under the elephants when the mice go by

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234