Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why ?

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Ratfish View Post
    There is an idea. Change alliance description and be "Nationalistic Romanians Armies" NRA (has a nice ring to it huh?).

Im more than happy to die for Romania. Sounds like a nice place.
    1. it is a nice place if you learn to ignore certain things that are common in every country
    2. CC is right the game should be about fun and not nationalism and other stuff. i would complete what he said that this game is great because it gives you the freedom. freedom to choose how you play, how to talk, to whom you talk, freedom to be yourself, etc
    3. unlike cyntilen i see their downside altho i don't agree with it.. most of the countries who were opressed by other countries during centuries have developed a verry nationalistic thinking. mine has too. this isn't bad necesarily but like everywhere some people take it to the relative normal boundries.

Arafel.

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by dead_legolas View Post
    3. unlike cyntilen i see their downside altho i don't agree with it.. most of the countries who were opressed by other countries during centuries have developed a verry nationalistic thinking. mine has too. this isn't bad necesarily but like everywhere some people take it to the relative normal boundries.

Arafel.
    I'm not saying having national pride itself is a bad thing...I was taking exception with the context, this being a game. Again, there are many nationally based alliances/metas that have never struck me as "off"...some of them from oppressed areas as well.

I remember last server, I asked an alliance mate to help me attack a player...he told me he wouldn't, because he wouldn't attack a fellow country-man...something I wholly respect, and it was the last time I brought it up.

**edit**

From Wikipedia:

Nationalism generally involves the identification of an ethnic identity with a state.[1] The subject can include the belief that one's nation is of primary importance.

Which is a different thing than national pride.
    Last edited by Cyntlen; 02.02.2010 at 05:45. Reason: clarity

Guardsman

Quote Originally Posted by PorkLoin View Post
    I've been amazed at how little religious and political stuff there is in Travian, and this is with many volatile if not outright crazy teenagers playing it. Hard to believe....

From what I've seen, the Polish players are a nice group of people, pretty much like most people everywhere around the world. Personally, I've never felt like any were saying, "We are better than you because we are from Poland." Just my opinion, but I don't see the downside to their approach; and in my admittedly limited experience with PFtF members I've never had any problems with them as individuals.

Doug (Future member of the "Ugly Americans" alliance.)

P.S. Just read about the apparent password shenanigans and the PM account. : /
    Back in the "early days" of Travian there was indeed lots of political and religious "stuff" going on...it was pretty brutal. RL national and cultural conflicts were all over the (few) servers. There still is on some other game sites, but the travian folks made a good decision to work towards reining it in on this one. It rears it's head every once in awhile but there are enough firewalls in place so it gets nipped in the bud pretty quickly.

Bottom line, this game is about cooperation - no one person can "win" it on their own - this is a game that relies on teamwork for success. Honestly, there are few things more rewarding than to coordinate an operation, offensive or defensive, with a few hundred folks, in fifty bazillion different timezones with fifty bazillion languages, to land all their troops at the same time at the same target on the same second. Now THAT'S what this game is all about.

Natarian Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post

Bottom line, this game is about cooperation - no one person can "win" it on their own -
    Dammit you ruined my entire game plan this server!!!!
    'THE Bartender'

There Is No Experience That Cannot Be Enhanced By Smoking A Cigerette With The Possible Exception Of Fixing A Gas Leak

ColdCan, DeadLegolas, Cyntlen, Chauncey - excellent posts, and I'm grateful to hear some of the past history of Travian.

I've really enjoyed getting to know people around the world via the game, and am still surprised at how well they can work together, even when from different countries that often would make for mutual antagonism.

Some degree of nationalism is okay - in our varying opinions - so I'd say the question is where to draw the line. Just my experience but I haven't seen anything from PFtF in that vein that I'd say is too much.

Did see some hilarious comments on in-game messages, paraphrasing:

"I know you people from ******** - you all scheme together and you are prejudiced against anybody from outside ********..."

This went on and on, mainly one player expressing his own insecurity, quite laughable.

Doug

Guardsman

Wait a second. You mean background isn't part of this game? I can finally admit that I am an American and not actually a Roman? Cool, I thought I was supposed to be Roman. I would like to be a Gaul but I couldn't figure out which country to pretend to be from.

Natarian Knight

Quote Originally Posted by FinalDays View Post
    Wait a second. You mean background isn't part of this game? I can finally admit that I am an American and not actually a Roman? Cool, I thought I was supposed to be Roman. I would like to be a Gaul but I couldn't figure out which country to pretend to be from.
    Sorry by definition if american with a high degree of european likely to be in there , no certainty but likely then you would probably have a bit of gaul or roman in the blood,

so dont worry you are not upsetting your ancestors by claiming to be amercian
    'THE Bartender'

There Is No Experience That Cannot Be Enhanced By Smoking A Cigerette With The Possible Exception Of Fixing A Gas Leak

Guardsman

Quote Originally Posted by FinalDays View Post
    Gauls are hairy and smelly...and they eat snails. Romans have cool numerals and a nifty calendar, but nobody speaks Latin these days so...

Natarian Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey View Post
    Gauls are hairy and smelly...and they eat snails. Romans have cool numerals and a nifty calendar, but nobody speaks Latin these days so...

gratias ago deus pro Starbucks
    'THE Bartender'

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by ColdCan View Post
    gratias ago deus pro Starbucks
    be quiet overthere... u have Tesco! :P

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast