Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why ?

Default Why ?

When you ask a PAN Polish player , if they delete , they reply :
    Poland never dies !

What does Poland have to do with Travian ?!
    s2.com( 2007-2008 ) - DarthApokalips(WizWar)
    s2.com( 2008-2009 ) - mustafas(MDS)
    s2.com( 2009-2010 ) - DarthM(MDS/MDA Off. Planner)/Dynast(WW Holder)

Natarian Knight

I guess some people are just more patriotic than others.

hey, nubbles, what's up with the color of your name? lol, jk, i'm just ribbin' ya. that is pretty dumb to say "poland never dies" like it means something when it comes to a game.

Natarian Knight

Be in the situations the poles have been in and perhaps you understand a little more of what they think
    Check in some of their history

DP Queen @ S2 / Juggernaut @ S8 / Vercingetorix @ S5

I know most of the parts of their history.
    But why involve RL country in a game ?

Quote Originally Posted by DarthM View Post
    But why involve RL country in a game ?
    I once asked one of them that? he answered that his group is named Poland first to fight and it is not about their country
    Pickpacker of MDA
    [ retired ]

Thorned Warrior

I'm with you Darth...

I had more than a couple convos with a particular pole on this topic. He misunderstood my position as being anti-polish, until I pointed out that there are plenty of other nationally based alliances/metas that I don't have a problem with. (SRB, Ro-HT, etc)

Something about the in-your-face side of it really bugged me. I think if I were to slap a US flag up on my profile, and start going on about some aspect of history that nobody cares to read about in a game, I'd hear no end of crap -- and for good reason. Nationalism is an ugly thing. It's even uglier when you're part of a nation that's been on the receiving end of overblown national pride...the Polish, more than anyone, should have learned that lesson.

Instead, they're perpetuating it. I'd like to think their grand-parents would be ashamed...you know, the ones who actually dealt with those historical facts they have in their alliance profiles.

It's one thing to enjoy some of the loyalty / honesty / dedication you might get from a nationally based alliance...what they're doing strikes me as something far beyond that, and not in a good way.

-----

On another note, I wasn't around for those days, but I've heard the stories of what I call "The Bad Old Days of Travian" -- back when they had different factions fighting against each other, because of political/religious/cultural disagreements in real life. They got rid of that sort of thing for a good reason. Real life simply has no place in a game. There are enough places we can find bigotry, and hatred in life...it's good to have places where you can get away from that for awhile, and be able to face people as people, in skill against skill, not "My country is better than yours, so I must destroy you".

Terron

It is a act of defiant submission. What they are saying is they have been beaten this day and in this game. But they will endure it. And they will rise again. You may beat them. But as long as they still live, They will fight you.

I actually have respect for the ethos involved.

Every deletion lessens that respect, at least for the deleted player. But I get the point.

For her,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tfg-I...eature=related

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Terron View Post
    It is a act of defiant submission. What they are saying is they have been beaten this day and in this game. But they will endure it. And they will rise again. You may beat them. But as long as they still live, They will fight you.

I actually have respect for the ethos involved.
    Agreed, but do you really think attaching that identity to a nation is tasteful...in the context of a game?

Would it have any less validity if it were you who'd been beaten, to say MDS/MDA will rise again?

Nope. Because you're in a game-based alliance it acknowledges the fact that you guys are a team in a virtual world...not because of what country you're from, but because of the quality of your members.

Far more respectable imo

*edit*

I'm not a she, in case that was for me...and this one's a little more my style:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA2XIWZxMKM
    Last edited by Cyntlen; 30.01.2010 at 18:37.

Quote Originally Posted by Terron View Post

So , the about 12-13 times i suicided my army this server , every time i should have screamed "for Romania!" if i would have been in a Romanian based-alliance?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast