Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auctions - Need to see highest bid

Default Auctions - Need to see highest bid

This should be just like ebay. You can see what the highest bidder has bid. It's a waste of my time to try and guess what the highest bidder amount is.

Since there is already an internet standard for auctions, why not follow it?

You cannot actually see the highest bid on ebay, you can only see what the current winning bid is.....just fealt the need to say that
    You've got a question? You can find the answer here: T2.5/T3 Answers / T4 Answers / New User Moderation

Moderators work on a voluntary basis and are therefore not available 24 hours a day.

A pill to make me dumb... make me somebody else.

True, but this is just a game and it should be as easy as possible to play.

So I guess what I should suggest is that the highest maximum amount someone is willing to bid should be what you see.

Again, it is time consuming to to bid on items in the current manner.

Thanks for listening.

Passive

Quote Originally Posted by QinJac View Post
    True, but this is just a game and it should be as easy as possible to play.

So I guess what I should suggest is that the highest maximum amount someone is willing to bid should be what you see.

Again, it is time consuming to to bid on items in the current manner.

Thanks for listening.
    Bad idea, as i could just go around push everyone's bid up to the highest they are willing to pay.....

Isn't that how an auction works?

here where I live there are auctions every weekend of old people's estates.

Someone bids, then someone raises the bid, then someone else bids more. Very transparent, it happens quickly and you know if the object is more than you are willing to pay.

You don't waste time bidding on something that already has a bid on it more than you want to pay. It's definitely more efficient for the person who wins the bid as they don't have to pay more than a small amount over what the previous person bid.

In this game anyone who runs up the bid, has to pay that. I don't see why anyone would do that.

Granted I am not an expert. I've bid on 4 items so far and had to bid a lot more than what was listed to win those as I couldn't sit around and watch the auction. I also couldn't see how to cancel a bid, but that is probably there somewhere. If you can't cancel, then that is even more reason not to run up the bid.

Jus' sayin'

Teamlead Customer Service Phanttis's Avatar

You do not know how much money the people have in their wallets in a real auction, even if you know the highest bid. So you do not know how high they will go eventually.

The auction system in game works like an outsourced bidder (a proxy bidder): you tell him how much you are willing to pay for the item, and he then raises accordingly until no-one bids higher or the limit you set is overbid. In overbidding case, he calls you via mobile phone and asks if it is ok to go beyond what you originally gave him as maximum.

So: you see in the game the highest bid already - you just do not know how much 'money' the other player has, so your grump/demand/suggestion is not valid.

This is also a very standard way of bidding.

A proxy bidder represents the interests of a bidder not physically present at the auction. Typically, the bidder will inform his proxy of the maximum amount he is willing to pay, and the proxy bidder will continue to raise bids by the predefined bidding increment until either the proxy bidder wins or the price exceeds the maximum value of the bidder. If all bidders use a proxy with a predefined maximum, an English Auction becomes identical to a Vickrey Auction.
    http://www.gametheory.net/dictionary...oxyBidder.html
    You've got a question? You can find the answer here: T2.5/T3 Answers / T4 Answers / New User Moderation

Moderators work on a voluntary basis and are therefore not available 24 hours a day.

For Travian: Legends support, please first take a look at answers. If you cannot find what you are looking for, use the in-game support request form or write in-game message to Support.

Travian: Legends global scoreboard

All this may be true, but I can tell you in my alliance on server 1 everyone of us hates this system. So as your customers, you should listen to us.

That is a valid grump.

Auctions are first degree price discriminators, which means that participating in an auction will make you pay your maximal reserve price (the highest price you are willing to pay for something, in this case an item). If the price is too high for you or you can't afford it, you can always pull out of the auction and since you've lost, the system will refund what you've invested - it's happened to me countless times, both when I wanted to stop participating in the auction because the price was too high or when I was unable to adjust my bid, so I lost.

Phanttis is right - it's similar to the proxy bidding eBay is using - this is also known as a Vickrey auction. So yes, it is a real type of auction. Auction types vary greatly - for instance, the standard type of auction we know is called the English auction. There's also something called a Dutch auction, where the bidding goes in reverse - odd to people who aren't accustomed to it, but quite usual in Holland.

All it takes to place a bid is typing the amount and clicking "bid." Even if you had to do that fifty times, it would barely take any time at all. There is no need to be so upset over spending a couple more seconds. Personally I think the system is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Basement Nerd View Post
    All it takes to place a bid is typing the amount and clicking "bid." Even if you had to do that fifty times, it would barely take any time at all. There is no need to be so upset over spending a couple more seconds. Personally I think the system is great.
    (Unless you got there with only a minute to go on the auction.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast