Thread: Server end - Feedback please!

Teamlead Customer Service Phanttis's Avatar

Default Server end - Feedback please!

Hi,

as the first T4 server has now concluded with 330 days of runtime, I ask in this thread for you to give your thoughts and feedback on how the game should be developed forwards.

Server performance (event jams, map lag, bad gateway, etc) problems during the round are known as we have good logs of those... what we are asking for are thoughts on the game mechanics, usability, game round lifecycle and controls.

- What you miss?

- What you needed that was not there? Suggestions on how it should be made available?

- What would you like to have? While not of absolute importance, would make your life as a player more comfortable?

- What is not the way it should be? Suggestions on what would be better?

- What was boring? Suggestions on how to make it more entertaining?

Thank you for playing for the whole round. I know from the numerous emails and igms I got during the past 330 days that it was not easy to stick around until the end.

PS: Congratulations to the winner(s)!

Regards,
    Phanttis
    You've got a question? You can find the answer here: T2.5/T3 Answers / T4 Answers / New User Moderation

Moderators work on a voluntary basis and are therefore not available 24 hours a day.

For Travian: Legends support, please first take a look at answers. If you cannot find what you are looking for, use the in-game support request form or write in-game message to Support.

Travian: Legends global scoreboard

Thorned Warrior

I put up a short list

- What you miss?

1. efficiency of farms - I do not farm much, but as far as I remember there were some efficiency indicators in T3.6

- What you needed that was not there? Suggestions on how it should be made available?

1. queuing building for demolishing (at least two levels, maybe more with gold, like constructing buildings)
    2. female heroes, different races (not only Caucasians!)

- What would you like to have? While not of absolute importance, would make your life as a player more comfortable?

1. Information about smithy upgrades available in barracks/stables/workshop next to unit name
    2. sending attacks while not on-line (set all details, and next to “ok” button new button "set time") - for 5 gold + 1 gold up to three additional attack same second same target, same speed,; limit max 4-8 attacks daily
    3. forwarding IGM to email (set in preferences “forward all IGM to my e-mail”)
    4. links’ panel moved to the left side of the screen, bellow village name
    5. list of villages with smaller leading (or in two columns) - I had more than 40 villages and it was difficult to manage
    6. several recipients for IGM (like 5) or CC (like 5 too)

- What is not the way it should be? Suggestions on what would be better?

1. limiting "mass fakes via farm list" – additional condition for farm list: on a given farm list one village with same slowest unit can by entered only once (f.e. OK: target village X – 20 TT and 1 ram, target village X – 20 TT; NOT ACCEPTED: target village X – 1 TT, target village X – 1 TT). Second option: from one village two raids from a one list with same landing time cannot be send.
    2. limits on number of confederacies and NAPs should be removed, it doesn’t work

- What was boring? Suggestions on how to make it more entertaining?

1. Introduce something midway between artifacts and endgame/plans, that would be interesting for many players (not few like artifacts) and somehow encouraging cooperation or allow for wings in meta to specialize - f.e. tasks for whole alliance chosen (in some panel) by leader - maybe one or two each week , for example:
    - most (f.e. 66%) of players have to attack one target (oasis, natar village) on a given moment (like 1 minute slot), but do not attack it later/earlier on the same day --> +10% to speed next week for everyone in alliance
    - average raiding needs to be 50% (or 30% or 66%) of the last player in TOP10 --> 10% raiding bonus next week for everyone
    - alliance has to chief at least 0,5 village per member --> 10% to CP production next week for everyone
    - mean number of units killed in attacks bigger than 20% (or 30%) of last player in TOP 10 --> +10% bonus to attack next week
    - average defense points higher than 30% of last player in TOP 10 --> reinforcements travel +50%
    - 10 smallest members grow at least 10% (or 15% or 20%) --> +5% bonus to crop production next week to everyone in alliance
    - 3 (or 1) oasis conquered by average player --> elephants appear in large numbers near to members villages
    - no more than three times any player goes yellow --> everyone can see the type of troops attacking at rally point (but not the number) in capitals
    - etc...
    This would probably decrease dropout rate.

2. Maybe more small (and large?) artifacts, or “weak” artifacts, that work for whole alliance? It would increase availability of artifacts.

3. Same nick on different servers:
    - when registering to new server additional box "nick for all Servers" (checked if nick was recently used - like 2/3 years; may be also not for free - you need to pay n gold during 72 hours after first logging)
    - no one else can register on any server using this nick
    - owner can register on any server using same email
    - additional field available in profile with information on achievements on other servers (ranking in three selected servers, up to 10 selected medals, up to two reports – from archives)
    It would build “history” around individual accounts and make people more connected to Travian.

4. Statistics released at the end of server:
    - Top raiders - data aggregated from whole server
    - Top producers - all resources produced during whole server
    - Top fighters - total crop consumption off all units produced by player
    - Top hammers - biggest armies in crop consumption (single village) in any moment during whole game (nick, village, time achieved, units in columns, total crop consumption)
    - Top armies - biggest armies in crop consumption (all villages) in any moment during whole game (nick, time achieved, units in columns, total crop consumption)
    - Top “simmers” – Culture Points ranking
    - 10 reports from biggest battles (unites in crop killed) for each month

5. Reviving in-game chat – fe. shoutbox (with option to join with other alliances by leaders) – or maybe it wasn’t used only in alliances, I played in

6. linking somehow forum to game (same nicks? forum open in given server section for all, who registered + invitation IGM)
    Last edited by mkoch; 27.10.2011 at 16:40. Reason: lack of underline

Quote Originally Posted by mkoch View Post
    <Terrific ideas>
    Some of these ideas wouldn't necessarily apply to my style of play, but all in all I thought they were very well-thought out proposals that could (should) be implemented without too much additional coding needed.

My faves from the list:

1. Smithy upgrades are shown in barracks/stables (I think could be done as a "level #" (phalanx, lv. 5) or just a rank (phalanx-5).

2. Queued demolishing of buildings. Really wish the devs had at least tested this during the round.

3. Same nick across multiple servers/linking forum to game. I understand this would be too difficult across domains, but it'd be nice to just have one nick that I could use from my forum account. No trying to remember which domain has which name with which password. Just let me set up one and go.

4. Greater types of stats listed at endgame. This is probably the easiest to do. I know this data is already out there as a type of info dump. Why not just add a tab to the statistics page?

5. More things to do between artifacts and endgame. Even with making a concerted effort to move artifacts around, there will always be a LOT of players who will never even have a chance to have one. Why ask them to stay around for a few more months to build up defense or upgrade marketplaces when they don't really have anything else to do? It'd be nice to have something small (such as hitting a target at the right time, or capturing oases, or something) pop up every few days (even like additional training quests).
    Southern by birth, Cajun by the grace of God.

Quote Originally Posted by mkoch View Post
    - most (f.e. 66%) of players have to attack one target (oasis, natar village) on a given moment (like 1 minute slot), but do not attack it later/earlier on the same day --> +10% to speed next week for everyone in alliance
    - average raiding needs to be 50% (or 30% or 66%) of the last player in TOP10 --> 10% raiding bonus next week for everyone
    - alliance has to chief at least 0,5 village per member --> 10% to CP production next week for everyone
    - mean number of units killed in attacks bigger than 20% (or 30%) of last player in TOP 10 --> +10% bonus to attack next week
    - average defense points higher than 30% of last player in TOP 10 --> reinforcements travel +50%
    - 10 smallest members grow at least 10% (or 15% or 20%) --> +5% bonus to crop production next week to everyone in alliance
    - no more than three times any player goes yellow --> everyone can see the type of troops attacking at rally point (but not the number) in capitals
    Some quick thoughts about those... do they not increase the gap between hc-players and others even more? I mean, they grant even more power to those who already have the most power in the server. All pro alliances/players will probably achieve those boosts, so nothing between them would change. On the other hand, an alliance/player that does not achieve those would be in serious disadvantage.

The gap would only widen the longer such boosts are active. Perhaps it could be made so that they are active only once per player/alliance, for 1 week only? That way players who start later will get the benefit more likely, as top accounts have already achieved them...
    You've got a question? You can find the answer here: T2.5/T3 Answers / T4 Answers / New User Moderation

Moderators work on a voluntary basis and are therefore not available 24 hours a day.

For Travian: Legends support, please first take a look at answers. If you cannot find what you are looking for, use the in-game support request form or write in-game message to Support.

Could they be modified so that instead of all players in an alliance having to do something, each alliance would get a bonus based on the number of players who were successful? (25 of 50 successful gives a larger bonus than 10 of 50) It would still mean that larger alliances would have the chance to gain the larger bonuses (create a wing of very active players to consistently hit those higher participation levels), but this could be countered by randomly giving alliances tasks to do based on average population---the higher the pop average, the harder the task. Gives the larger alliance something to shoot for, while the smaller alliances get an easier goal. You could still skew the system by simply not growing very much (as an example, MTK held three WWs at one point, but finished in 453rd place if based on pop only. Don't think anyone would call him a "small" player, though), but I don't think it would make that much difference overall.
    Southern by birth, Cajun by the grace of God.

Natarian Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Phanttis View Post
    Some quick thoughts about those... do they not increase the gap between hc-players and others even more? I mean, they grant even more power to those who already have the most power in the server. All pro alliances/players will probably achieve those boosts, so nothing between them would change. On the other hand, an alliance/player that does not achieve those would be in serious disadvantage.

The gap would only widen the longer such boosts are active. Perhaps it could be made so that they are active only once per player/alliance, for 1 week only? That way players who start later will get the benefit more likely, as top accounts have already achieved them...
    The achievements idea is great, but it has to be heavily thought out and balanced... it any of those proposals will ever be implemented, this one most likely will be among the last ones.

I have only one request that is also very simple to implement. A checkbox for select all troops within the current village when you want to send troops. This would only require a bit of javascript for client side. It would help the most in the beginning of the game when you have to dodge troops frequently.

Thorned Warrior

Quote Originally Posted by Phanttis View Post
    Perhaps it could be made so that they are active only once per player/alliance, for 1 week only?
    That was my idea. Sorry if I was not clear. The proper balancing (and testing on some servers) as others have said is also a must.

I have one big thing I would like to add:
    1. Mobile version of Travian. Smartphones are getting more and more popular - you can probably see from what type of devices/operating systems people log on, many people I contact in-game also mention it (and it really helps in this game, if you log-on often for short periods of time). Someone will launch similar game designed for mobile access sooner or later and then Travian will lose its market share. So mobile version is a must before it is too late.

And two small things about the map:
    1. 25% zoom should be considered - 8% is (at least for me) not really readable.
    2. When zoom (like 50%) is selected and then you change village using village panel zoom should not refocus to 100%, but should stay as it was set.

Perhaps they could then be added as tasks instead of making a separate award system. Ah well, these are totally extra as already said by someone, so they can be considered after all the bugs and features that are still missing but planned are implemented.

I am off for vacation until sunday evening, and on Monday, I will send the contents of missed/wanted/needed/liked -categories to the head office. So time until then to give feedback and improvement requests, in this thread.