Thread: A Civilization Sandbox

Default A Civilization Sandbox

The thought occurs: Why are all these civilization RPGs about fighting more than anything else? Why can't
    the focus be to build your civilization and interact with others?
    I've been wondering how I could make Rping enjoyable for myself again and I had this idea: An RPG where world domination is not the eventual goal. It seems to me that most of the nations we see on the forum are summed up by this excellent quote: "Prussia is not a country with an army, but an army with a country".
    I can find enjoyment in simply building up a great nation for the fun of it, as if it were a sand castle or a
    Minecraft world. It is with this idea of a sandcastle in mind that I want to start this RPG.

A few notes:
    * Like many of my ideas this is almost definitely not well thought out and I would be glad to hear
    criticism.
    *It would be silly to ban war, no civilization lacks military history, not even Canada. What I wish to do is make building, not destroying the focus of this. For details on how conflict would work take a look at
    the basic rules
    * I want to make this as open ended as possible so I will let anyone who is interested in this help decide what the setting should be, then I will open it up to character sheets.
    The setting options as I see them are:
    1. The quasi medieval setting of Lord of the Rings or REDSHEILD's Fantasy World RPG.
    2. Approximate 1750-1900 era of the Industrial Revolution, with plenty of room for steampunk and
    magitech
    3. A time in the relatively near future (next couple centuries) where nations have advanced technologies
    but are still restricted to one planet.
    4. A far future time of space epicness, as in Warhammer 40k or Purple's Space Empires RPG where
    empires stretch over multiple solar systems.

Basic rules:
    1. No godmodding or powermodding. Don't do it. Just don't.
    2. Here's my rather odd system for wars: Both parties have to agree out of character to the war. I won't have people beating up on weaker nations in this, even if the weaker nation deserves it. Looks at zman
    3. Once a setting is agreed on you have to live with it, efforts to jump far ahead of the rest in technology just because you'd prefer it will of course be considered powermodding. There are conditions under
    which more advanced technology makes sense, examples being a species of geniuses, robots or
    dwarves but moderation is important.
    4. Communicating out of character is done by OOC double parentheses ((These things))
    5. Complaints and comments are very welcome.
    6. Having Skype is suggested as I may open decisions up to others.
    7. Zman you have one chance, only one.

So yeah lets hope this experiment is not a massive failure (though it is likely to be) and please start
    commenting with criticisms and your votes on the setting
    Rec: I merely claimed responsibility for it like any good terrorist oganisation
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple View Post
    I will personally oppose anything that says no shooting at civilians.

This post will allow me to respond to criticism and will eventually be where I place the character sheet form.

1. Landgrabbing as motivation. Ramrod wisely said that the main way for nations to tangibly grow in these games is to get as much territory as possible, this expansionism of course leads to war. What I prose to do about this is: Of course war is allowed under the mentioned conditions but as a further step, its going to be a big map to start with, with a lot of empty space. This should mean that conflict won't be necessary until late in the game when more players will be ready for it and therefore enjoy it.
    2. Bloogle had a good idea which was to create a system of resource trading which would force non-violent interaction. He suggested a hex map, where some hexes contain valuable resources that can only be acquired by trading, exactly like in Civilization. For example if my dwarves want marble to build a new shiny palace we would have to build up some diplomatic relationships with your elves and agree on some kind of trade deal. I think this is a great idea and may or may not be implemented depending on the setting.
    Rec: I merely claimed responsibility for it like any good terrorist oganisation
    I will personally oppose anything that says no shooting at civilians.

Quote Originally Posted by greekviking View Post
    He suggested a hex map, where some hexes contain valuable resources that can only be acquired by trading, exactly like in Civilization.
    ((That part was Josh, I was the one saying it would be wildly impractical and a massive time sink for a DM to actually make that map.))
    BonzaiBannana: A giant loophole to pubic safety

Quote Originally Posted by greekviking View Post
    1. The quasi medieval setting of Lord of the Rings or REDSHEILD's Fantasy World RPG.
    2. Approximate 1750-1900 era of the Industrial Revolution, with plenty of room for steampunk and
    magitech

I would like a combination of these 2 ideas. It gives lots of options for color and flavor

7. Zman you have one chance, only one. YAY!
    I'm intrested, and I have ideas on the burner so to speak

I do like the hex map idea, I have tried it on other forums and it seems to work very well.
    the dyslexic ork
    ((If I did not know better, I would say that zman is a professional masquerading as a bad roleplayer.))