Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Odloria - Chapter 1

Default Odloria - Chapter 1

A long time ago, the Creator lived on the Continent alone, admiring its natural beauty. He saw the rivers and the lakes, the mountains and the valleys. Once, he had a fantastic idea. He fashioned animals out of the plants and set them free to roam where they pleased. He was very happy, and the world lived in harmony for a long time. But one day, the great Creator grew lonely. He went down to the largest mouth of the largest river and scooped up some black clay, and with it he made three smaller replicas of himself. He took great joy in him and they in him, but he could not tell them apart. So he fashioned long hair like his own on one of them, and shorter curly hair on the second, and even shorter and more curly on the third.

He was happy, but still could not tell them apart, so he rose up a pool for them to wash in. The long haired one went in and bathed for a long time, washing his hair and face until he was as white as snow. His soul was as white as his body, and the Creator named him Loren. The second went in and rinsed himself, since the water was draining away quickly. He received the name Lander, and his soul was intelligent but still tainted by the mud. By the time the last man entered the pool, it was a small puddle of water, and he only had time to stand in the water and press his hands into it. His soul never received the progressiveness of the other two, but the sturdy mud gave him courage, creativity, and loyalty. His name was Rak'Tai. These three men became the fathers of the world.

Only later did they discover, far in the north where the Creator lived, that he had made sons of his own, a huge and gentle race without a name. They became known as the Northerners, since that is where they came from. They were first found around the time the Landers discovered bronze. If the wise Lorens or the accepting Rak'Tai had found them, perhaps they would have been introduced to society, but the coldhearted Landers slaughtered many, taking even more as slaves. The gentle Northerners learned to fight turning their massive strength away from hunting and gathering and to wielding fearsome battleaxes. Shocked by the ferocity of their previously easy prey, the Landers retreated to the centre of the Continent and continued advancing science. They quickly turned to the Rak'Tai for slaves.

This is the story of the tribes. Whether it's true or not is a moot point, it's sort of the creation story for all four races. It's taken from some Africans, but I forget which ones. Not the countries I've lived in, though; I would guess central Africa. The Creator refers to Folthix, since he is the most powerful of the gods and created balance between the men in the story. All of the men as of then spoke Ancient Latin.

Also, I think everyone here is too smart for this, but just to be sure: Don't ask about women. It's a story.

Now time for the handed down history of the next millennium or two.

Read to the music:http://www.youtuberepeater.com/watch?v=iO7ySn-Swwc”] ThePianoGuys [/url]

Soon after the Lander attacks on the Northerners, a group of Lorens scouting out a place to move their clan found the huge tribe. Still very distrustful of outsiders, the normally pacific Northerners attacked the Loren scouting party, slaughtering the surprised and peaceful men and women without stopping for questions or explanations. Furious, and justly so, the various Loren clans came together and held an extended war with the Northerners, slowing the growth of both races. The war went on and off for three hundred years, pausing only when neither side could afford to go on.

Meanwhile, the Landers grew stronger through the strength of the Rak'Tai slaves. While all three other races were otherwise occupied with wars or being slaves, the cunning men made many discoveries, breaking the boundaries of imagination. Not long after the great wars started in the northwest, the organized Landers formed a strong nation, split into fifty states and a Capitol. Two men were elected by popular vote from each of the fifty states to go to the Capitol and run the country. Although fights broke out among the different states, for the most part the Republic was extremely powerful and influential to the course of history. They called it the Republic of Luen, and for the first time, people who had never met each other lived in harmony through logic and compromise. The god of Order, Dotamin, became their patron god. With him he brought a new language, which became know as Lunean.

After three hundred years of fighting, the Northerners and Lorens agreed to never cross the mountains located about three-quarters of the way up the Northwestern Peninsula. The Northerners weren't happy with the arrangement, but being smaller and by then weaker they had to agree. Both races sat back and began the slow process of repairing the damage that the war had caused. The Northerners continued practicing their battleaxe skills, and built huge boats for trade or war. The Lorens became proficient with the longbow, in case of war again.

Some people within the Lorens called themselves the Druids. They spoke about the purity of nature and made many advances in those areas, discovering the First Great Secret. These secretive monks still exist, but in far smaller numbers. In the rebuilding period, the Druids were revered and treated as leaders in many cases. The Druids, led by a man named Algarith, went up into the mountains between the Lorens and the Northerners and began forming a powerful defense. Rumours occasionally arose that they were building an offense as well – but against whom? Very few people other than the Druids themselves knew the Secret, and they would rather die than reveal it.

Back in the Republic of Luen, the prosperous Landers continued to flourish. But in any utopian society, there are some who do not approve. There are still others who want more. And petty squabbles light the fuse. A contingent of Luens rose up who opposed taking the Rak'Tai as slaves. Others resented being governed by people they had never seen, and many more disagreements lodged in their hearts. Some spoke in the Senate, some led peaceful demonstrations, and still others tried to launch an assault on the Capitol. They were beaten back, but their martyrdom served as a call for all who were disgruntled. Many Luens left their wealth and honour behind and fled to the south where the few remaining Rak'Tai tribes lives, freeing slaves and bringing them south where they united the tribes into a country named Kirnak. Wishing only to escape the militaristic and unrealistic ideals of the Republic of Luen, the Kirnakis learned to farm peacefully and lived in relative harmony. But the peace was short lived.

The Republic of Luen continued its bid for world domination, expanding explosively in every direction until it took up more than half the Continent. To the south, occupying about a third of the Continent, was Kirnak. The Luens repeatedly raided Kirnak, killing and taking slaves. Disgusted and angry, the Landers who had formerly been part of the Republic renounced their names and became but Kirnakis, breeding with the native Rak'Tais. Drunk with victory and manifest destiny, the Republic began to simply pour men through the fertile farmland of Kirnak and the forests and mountains of the Northwestern Peninsula, killing all in their path and tearing up the earth in search of riches. Dotamin became restless, uneasy with the chaos sown by the orderly Luens, and may have left them if other gods had not joined; Sariden – god of chaos, and Vrelm – goddess of destruction. Fearing retribution if he deserted the Luens, Dotamin continued helping them but tried to stop the destruction. Sariden and Vrelm went with the soldiers, sowing discord among survivors and cleaving deep gouges in the earth.

Pushed to desperate measures, the Loren clans for the second time in so many years, came together to battle a common enemy. They knew they could not do it alone, so they sent emissaries far and wide to look for allies – including to the north. And to the Druids.

Chapter 0 begins as the Lorens try desperately to find allies. I ran this twice, so here is a decent combination of what happens. Most of the events do not conflict, but in some cases I had to set unsavory precedents. (coming soon)
    Last edited by polloth; 08.04.2013 at 22:18. Reason: Full Guide in progress
    He who tames the dragon, dies in flame

The Landers are based off of Ancient Romans, switching to Germanic/Gallic Barbarians with the arrival of Dotamin. Ancient Latin is the common tongue in old scripts, but now it is referred to as the Ancient Language, and is pretty much used the same as it is now (in 2013) – anatomically, etc. They take some honorary military designations from Roman culture, such as the elite Praetorian Guard and the Draconarius, and others from the Teutons and Gauls (and yes, I know Gauls aren't Germanic) such as Lieutenant and Trimarchisia. I realize the irony of Romans turning into a mix of Teutons and Gauls, but it was this way before I knew about Travian.

The Rak'Tais are loosely based off of a mix of Zulu and Shirazi, with the physical characteristics of a Zulu but the language of a Shirazi (Swahili). Their culture in the beginning, back when they spoke Latin, was more warlike and wandering like the Zulu but as they transition to Swahili and see the awful thing that is war they start to farm more and fight less, mirroring the Shirazi.

The Northerners are pretty basic Scandinavians. Every good medieval or ancient setting needs some huge guys with battleaxes and big beards, so this is them. They only begin using ships AFTER the war with the Lorens, and not for raiding like vikings. Think of them as “the vikings who don't do anything” and you'll do fine. Playing a Northerner is easy: get drunk, hurl large objects, make up for finesse with brute strength in everything from singing to fighting.

The Lorens are my favourites! They are based off of the coolest group in history – the barbarians that pestered Rome from where Siberia is currently. They use six foot longbows with deadly strength and accuracy, able to shoot reasonably accurately over 200 metres – in comparison, twice that of a football field (either kind of football)! They have blond hair and a tall, sinewy build. Since nobody knows what their language was like and Russian is so awesome, I'm having them speak modern Russian in this game (after they renounce Latin).

Concerning gender: In Luen, females aren't allowed to join the military by law, or even become scientists. The Rak'Tai know that women can be wise leaders and strong warriors, but most of that stuff falls to men. The Northerners treat women as “they who make the food.” Only among the Lorens is there no problem with women fighting and leading.

Odloria is set in an imaginary medieval time period world mostly following actual possibilities. When attempting to do things, ask yourself if people in the 1200s or before could do it and proceed (for example, little to no magic by your characters). Some exceptions may or may not reveal themselves, but treat the world as you would real life then. For example, we discover a sort of "magic" along the way. The LARGEST ISSUE, and be sure to remember this, is that there are "gods."

These "gods" are mortal, but extraordinarily powerful compared to a human (no other races). Folthix is the most powerful, but desires balance in all things. He forbids the other gods from fighting directly, since war disrupts the balance of life, so most of the others become the patron of a country to fight for them. Some, less known for various reasons, choose to pursue their values instead of fighting. The other two times I ran this RPG, we did not have to worry about the gods until about chapter 4-6, except for revering them when appropriate, so don't stress out too much or worry about how they will affect the gameplay.

I have decided not to go into all the detail concerning races and history as nobody actually reads that stuff except those who do. Sorry Purple and Blue. (is that a coincidence?) Above is an extended history of the Continent up to this point.

Chapter 1 begins as the Luen Army is mobilizing to march on the Rekiash Fortress, a choke point between Odloria and Luen held by a neutral entity. I suggest a band of Odlorians trying to get there in time and defend the fortress, but I'm playing a Luen soldier myself so I can't criticize if you want to be a bad guy.

CHARACTER SHEETS

Name: Pretty simple, basically what people call you. If you have a secret name, feel free to conceal it and just send it to me in a PM. Try to fit the race you choose - Luens can be taciturn names or Latinic names such as Paolini. Please do not use Hispanic names - they are Latinic, but still. Odlorians should sound awesome, like an Elvish name.
    Gender: Again, simple. If you look like the opposite sex or are gender confused :) you should put that here.
    Race: Northerner, Loren, Lander, Rak'tai. Also, describe your physical characteristics based on these. You can be a mix of them, but be ready to have a good explanation. I would suggest not using Rak'tai blood at all, simply because they live far away and are not prone to wandering or crossbreeding, but I suppose you could.
    Story: A little background on your character. Feel free to share as much or as little as you want - this is the story you tell everyone about you. You could, in theory, put down false information, but make sure you have a true and exact story in your private possession. If you keep "forgetting" to mention things, people will not trust you. If people do not trust you, this will be a less fun game for the rest of us and I will probably have you die.
    Possessions: What your character has. If s/he does not have his/her preferred weapon, you should note what it is. You DO NOT have to use a weapon - be a scholar and I'll give you choice bits of information or whatever, but our backbone should be warriors.

Name: Kaeralonthi Moneta. Since this is an Odlorian name, she shortens it to Keith Moneta.
    Gender: Female, pretending to be male. Never tried this before, should be fun :)
    Race: Half Loren and half Lander. Although her build is slight, her short stature conceals Loren ancestry. Her fair hair is easily made speckled each morning with ashes or coal dust.
    Story: Hearing about the planned attack on Rekiash, the fiercly patriotic Keith disguised herself as a boy to join the army. Coming from a well-to-do family of scholars, she knows a lot and tends to be boastful and arrogant, an air that is handy when trying to be a boy. As an actual combatant her skills are somewhat lacking, but only for lack of need.
    Possessions: A typical Luen soldier's stuff: An iron shortsword, a rectangular shield of thin bronze, a survival pack (that she has little idea how to use), four water pouches, and a change of uniform for formal occasions. In addition, she carries a small pouch containing some money and writing materials. And tools for forging seals, but don't tell anyone.

I used to have only one rule - have fun. By all means, follow it, but here are some more specific DOs. I try to make the DON'Ts into DOs for the sake of morale.

i) DO have fun. Just wanted to say that again.

ii) DO be active. I'm on almost every day, at the very least. I won't ask the same for everyone else, but if you are very inactive please let us know and we'll just skip you.

iii) DO be descriptive. Shakespeare once said "Brevity is the soul of wit." If you write a block of text ten pages long and repetitive, nobody will read it. Write beautifully, but to the point.

iv) DO use proper spelling and grammar. I know for some people it's a pain, but I am OCD and still learning advanced English vocabulary. In addition, it's just a good habit to develop. Annoying Shakespeare-like grammar is okay AS LONG AS IT IS CORRECT. Culture is fine, stupidity is not.

v) DO be kind. This refers to not flaming, but also in the game. We don't want people to get mad at each other just because our characters are nasty. Of course when we are fighting that's no time to be kind, but it would be nice if we parted with no hard feelings.

vi) DO godmode - just don't overdo it. Unlike in most RPGs, I allow godmoding up to a certain point. If a cripple challenges a blademaster to a swordfight, the latter can land blows without consulting the former. My character is arrogant - you can get mad at her for sneering even if I haven't specified that she is.

vii) DO write however you like. I am writing my character's thoughts from a first-person PoV, but you could even write just a description of the landscape you're passing if that's your cup of tea. I'm not doing a very good job at explaining this one, but we can all be different.
    Last edited by polloth; 15.04.2013 at 15:12. Reason: Rule updates

(( Hello! This looks like a fun story to get into; don't worry about the overuse of medieval settings. How do you plan to handle applications? Also, sorry for the relative inactivity. We are not incredibly responsive here, but I'll try to notify people that something new has popped up. ))

In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

((He speaks for many. This does indeed sound as if it could prove to be of interest. It shall be observed closely.))
    Purple Qwrq

THE FOUNDER OF THE ELITE ORDER OF THE NON SPAMING NATARIAN KNIGHTS.
    I am have returned! 100% Active, 100% inspired! Read The Mod comic -
    Weekly Updates

Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up.

((This does look like fun))

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    We should worship you and build you a temple and crap

((Oi Polloth, continue plxorz. This interests me.))

Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up.

((I should stop commenting in RPGs. They seem to die every time I do ))

Quote Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    We should worship you and build you a temple and crap

Post Storyline!

I'm having more trouble than you can believe uploading my storyline

((Wewt. Just one question. What exactly are Odlorians. Lorens? Or some other unmentioned race?))
    ((PS: My char sheet will appear here if you don't mind. I don't like clutter.))
    ((PPS: You should use double brackets like so to indicate OOC chatter))
    ((Also: Purple and blue Though it's really unlikely they're the same person. Besides, blue only posts in the RPG section to spam it up))

((Char sheet gone.))
    Last edited by Symphony; 08.04.2013 at 11:30. Reason: Character sheet in. And now scrapped.

((Sounds good, everyone listen to Symph! Talk OOC in double brackets. In answer to your question, Odlorians refers to people from the kingdom of Odloria. They are a mixed breed of Loren and Northerner, and you can be pure Northerner if you like or whatever. Odlorian is the ethnic group, Loren/Northerner is the race.))

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast