Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Magic RPG

In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

((I am going to read it tomorrow and triple check. Too tired. Until than however I want to dump some basic exposition on you about the setting.))

1. Organization of the schools
    Whilst the individual schools might vary wildly in terms of internal structure some basic tenants are always the same. In particular, there are certain distinct groups and positions that exist within each which I shall make note off.

At the bottom of the ladder you have the various ranks of students. From the initiates who are still learning to use magic at all to the higher ranked semi-professionals soon to become graduates. You all belong somewhere within this group.

Above them you have the graduated professional members. These are individuals who have completed their training (although practice and self refinement newer really stops) and have been nominally accepted as fully fledged agents of the school. In case of war it is these individuals who would make up the bulk of the schools armed efforts. And in times of peace it is them who are tasked with maintaining it.

Above this class we have masters, individuals of great skill and experience who act as guides and teachers to their fellows. They too have various ranks and responsibilities with the lowest of them being tasked to teach initiates their first spells whilst the highest and wisest serve as advisers and a ruling council for the school.

Finally at the top of the ladder we have the Grand Master. The oldest, wisest and most powerful member of each school he or she has ultimate power and the final say in all things. The Grand Master is also the only one allowed (or able) to enter the hall of spirits. And he or she wears the schools most precious relic, a magical seal granted by the emperors to provide the school with its charter to teach.

2. Untrained mages and folk magic
    As the schools are severely restricted in the number of recruits they can take they each go to great lengths to only pick the most talented candidates from their kingdom. A task that is not that difficult given the general lack of magical talent in this day and age. However this still means that historically a number of individuals will have fallen through the cracks. Usually weakly talented and with no training these individuals can hardly be called mages. And travelers are far more likely to hear stories of them than to actually meet one. But these stories do lead to rumors, superstitions and even practices of folk magic which at best does nothing. They are not something you need to concern your self with too much. But I felt the need to mention them for completeness sake.

3. Divination
    Divination, the art of peering into the future is the most elusive of all magical forms. A diviner is not trained but born. And very few are ever born with the gift of second sight. For those few that are, their insight comes in the form of uncontrolled visions, controlled and accurate scrying or everything and anything in between. For the nature of the talent is in its own right unpredictable. Diviners have been historically very rare. And there has not been a single case of a true documented one in the last few generations. But that does not stop every charlatan out there from trying to claim they can read your palm, tea leaves or what ever else they can think off.

4. Finally, I would like to start this by the end of the 1st week of the next month ideally. If anyone has anything to say, add or what ever do it quickly.
    Purple Qwrq

THE FOUNDER OF THE ELITE ORDER OF THE NON SPAMING NATARIAN KNIGHTS.
    I am have returned! 100% Active, 100% inspired! Read The Mod comic -
    Weekly Updates

((How does time play its role? More specifically, how quickly do the seasons come to term? I expect time to slow down and speed up respectively based on where characters are, but what can we expect in terms of days/months/years/ or even decades passing?))

The average person is more than just average.

((Purple you're back. I was starting to think you met with some tragic accident, developed retrograde amnesia and forgot all about us))

In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementhrith View Post
    ((How does time play its role? More specifically, how quickly do the seasons come to term? I expect time to slow down and speed up respectively based on where characters are, but what can we expect in terms of days/months/years/ or even decades passing?))
    ((I have no idea. I figured this would be an action-adventure game where time advances as slowly as it needs for plot reasons with possible time skips whilst you travel from one location to another. Time would pass as quickly or as slowly as you drive it and the plot demands.))

Quote Originally Posted by blue_lash View Post
    ((Purple you're back. I was starting to think you met with some tragic accident, developed retrograde amnesia and forgot all about us))
    ((Nope. I was waiting for a return PM from hersa.))

((Also, I have the plot sort of planed out. Roughly. I don't want it to be specific because that would hinder you. But I want to warn you that in the end there will be plot events that just happen, encounters you can't dodge and the like. I hope you don't mind.))
    Purple Qwrq

Weekly Updates

((Short update. Cowboy Santa will be busy for the next two weeks. So the likely start date is the first weekend in April if all things go well. Until than, I shall be working on a map for you guys and finishing up the plot.))
    Purple Qwrq

Weekly Updates

((Another quick question, for casting magic, or activation magical items, will it be necessary for the caster to speak and announce (or whisper) the words to channel energy (a-la Harry Potter), or can it all be done silently. Simply put, what are the laws and rules that govern magic?))

The average person is more than just average.

Quote Originally Posted by Dementhrith View Post
    ((Another quick question, for casting magic, or activation magical items, will it be necessary for the caster to speak and announce (or whisper) the words to channel energy (a-la Harry Potter), or can it all be done silently. Simply put, what are the laws and rules that govern magic?))
    ((The short answer is no. You don't need to make any defined gestures.))
    ((
    The long answer is that basically the way I envision it there are no such things as pre defined spells. Magic here is not the D&D style functional scientific magic that exists irregardless of practitioners and that you can study and "discover" like we do with laws of physics. When you perform a feat of magic in D&D, you are just following a procedure that works within the physics of that world. And their magic is just another set of physical laws. Here it is the exact opposite. There is no such thing as a universal "fireball spell" or "heal spell" that you can just learn out of a book. And thus there are no special names, incantations or gestures relating to them.

Instead all spell casting is improvisational. When you perform a feat of magic you are drawing upon your skill and experience to shape the magical energies of your self and the world around you in order to achieve what ever effect it is you want to achieve at that time. You are not following the laws of magic but instead using your willpower and talent to channel magic in order to break the laws of physics. And because of this, the actual details of casting will vary between individuals. There is no such thing as a definable set of steps that anyone can just learn and repeat to get the same result every time.

Thus when you go to school you do not learn a set of pre defined incantations that you can blindly repeat. Instead, you learn the "art" of shaping magical energies to achieve what ever it is you at the time envision. And different schools have different specializations which lead to them having more knowledge and experience in doing their rather specific things. So a school specializing in ice is obviously going to be able to teach you how to properly work the magical ether to get the best ice you can get. Where as someone without access to that experience might not even be able to chill a drink. But there is no such thing as a "cool drink" spell that you can pick up.

To put it simply, see your magic schools as being kind of like music class. When you pick a school you pick the instrument and style of music you want to learn. And they teach you how to play your instrument and style of choice. But they won't give you any music to play. That's up to you to go and compose.
    The closest thing to a pre defined spell would be if your character did something that worked and than he goes: "Hey, I like this. I am going to try and repeat that in my next fight."

In terms of rules that basically means I expect you to improvise with spell casting and make it up as you go along. The only limitation being that you stay within your theme and power level.
    ))
    Purple Qwrq

Weekly Updates

((^^ That actually clears a lot of things, like why we would not be able to manipulate each others spells even if our magics have similar nature. Also, I really hope this starts by 1st April because I'll be quite busy from 3rd))
    Last edited by blue_lash; 28.03.2015 at 18:21.

((
    Just a question. What's the point of starting in 4 days if you won't be avalable to play after just 2 days of the game going?
    We need to lay down a table here.

Everyone please post the following information:
    What dates in the next month will you be able to play? Use a range (for example 1st - 5th)

Once I have everyone planned out I'll see how to time this.
    ))
    Purple Qwrq

Weekly Updates

((Whoops, incomplete information. I meant I won't be able to post from 3rd to 5th. Also, its been like **** long I would just like it to see the game start for God's sake.))
    Last edited by blue_lash; 28.03.2015 at 19:15.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast